AmeriCorps Learning Coordinator Application
Position Summary: Part-Time Learning Coordinator
The AmeriCorps Great Futures Program aims to provide academic support to youth participants at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia, bridging the gap between the resources available to the youth in Philadelphia’s impoverished communities versus wealthier surrounding areas. In the neighborhoods Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia serves, youth poverty rates average 53%, which puts our youth at risk for long-term consequences including academic, social and health issues. The public high schools in these neighborhoods have an average on-time graduation rate of 61%, and third grade reading proficiency scores are as low as 14%. Serving youth by providing necessary educational resources will help them stay in school and on track to high school graduation with the ultimate goal of reducing poverty in these communities.
The AmeriCorps Learning Coordinator will assist with the implementation of STEM, Literacy and High-Yield Learning programming with the goal of increasing youth academic performance and engagement. The AmeriCorps Learning Coordinator will also support the mission and vision of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia by establishing positive relationships with Club members, fostering an academically-enriching Club environment, and engaging with community members and volunteers.
- Highs School Diploma or equivalent
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work as a team player, respect and collaborate with others
- Positive relationship-building skills and dedication to working with youth
- Ability to foster a positive, creative, and engaging learning environment for youth
- Ability to meet or exceed expectation and take initiative
- Professionalism and punctuality
- Conflict resolution skills
- Previous AmeriCorps or Boys & Girls Clubs experience is a plus
Position Start and End Date: September 9, 2019 to August 7, 2020
Required Number of Hours per Week: School Year – 22.5 hours, Summer Camp – 30 hours
Interested 17 year olds can email email@example.com or contact their local Boys & Girls Club to receive an application. Applications require parental signature and consent.